July 2nd, 2013
It’s the vacation season and everyone’s heading to the beach. No need to fight the traffic. Take the stress out of the season by planning a sexy staycation. Stay at home, enjoy your own space - but in vacation mode.
There can be a lot of guilt about being home and not being busy and productive. You have to let that go. You’re allowed to be in your own space and enjoy it. Make sure you only have relaxing on your schedule. Focus on things you can do together, things you enjoy, things you haven’t done in a while.
There’s some prep you can do to make your staycation every bit as lush as going out of town:
- Have the house professionally cleaned before your holiday. This will keep you from feeling the pressures of chores during your break.
- Stock your cupboards so you don’t feel the need to run errands.
- Make yourself a vacation soundtrack – all your favorite songs that make you think of summer and vacation. When you feel yourself struggling to relax, play your soundtrack.
- Pull out your best - best sheets, best towels, best china – all the things you save for special occasions. Now is the time to use them. Do you have new toys for the bedroom? Now is the time for them as well!
- Arrange to have your suppers delivered.
- Close off the world. Turn off phones and email. If it’s impossible to do that for several days in a row, give yourselves an hour every day that you’re able to plug in. But once that hour is over, let it go and focus on each other again.
- If you have kids, make a plan for them to be away – set something up with family or friends. (Don’t feel guilty – it’s a vacation for them too!).
Plan some activities:
- Have a film festival with movies you’ve wanted to watch but haven’t had the time to do. Cuddle up on the couch together. See if you can get to second base.
- Have a bonfire in your backyard and roast gooey s’mores. Snuggle in a hammock and watch the stars. .
- Is reading your passion? Make a trip to the library or bookstore to pick up a handful of staycation reads. Don’t forget the erotica.
- Turn your bathroom into a spa. Plan baths for two with some luxurious bath products and candlelight.
- Pamper yourselves: a couple’s massage or professional massages at home would be a great way to spend the afternoon.
- When is the last time you spent an entire morning in bed together? Don’t be so quick to jump into your day. Take a tour of each other.
Once you get used to relaxing at home, you might find yourselves scheduling staycations every few months!